Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Only 6 1/2 Years but a World Away



The stock market went back to the future Tuesday when the Dow Jones industrial average surpassed a near seven-year record and closed at an all-time high of 11,727.34.

Anticipation of the 30-stock index reaching a new milestone had been building for a week as it danced several days in a row near its former closing peak of 11,722.98 set on Jan. 14, 2000.

The last time the Dow stood at this mark, people were still breathing a sigh of relief that 2K Millennium went off without a hitch. NASDAQ was nearing its peak at 5,049.
The dollar and the euro were close to a one-to-one valuation. Enron was still a good stock market investment and the 11th biggest campaign donor of George Bush. Arthur Andersen was still a respected and mighty accounting firm.

Monica Lewinsky made the cover of more magazines than Scarlett Johansson. The St. Louis Rams were on their way to the Super Bowl Championship. The New York Yankees were in the middle of a three-year reign as World Series champs and two towers still stood proudly on south Manhattan.

7 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

Funny how different the situations are. Our good market is happening despite all the hardship under this Presidents watch...

Any dems want to eat those "Worst economy since Herbert Hoover" words?

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger American Crusader said...

I don't think too many Dems will be bringing up the economy on their campaign trails.
Sure Congress should have passed a new minimum wage bill but both Democrats and special interests groups killed it.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

Gosh AC it still kills to see the beautiful Towers..nice post!

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Seeing the Twin Towers in this photo saddens me. And I'm not a New Yorker!

 
At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may sound funny but I feel differently about seeing the Towers. This is because many of you did not travel in them daily.
For me it is kind of a nostalgic look at a loved relative.

Forgive my lapse into nostalgia but
it is good to see them whole as they were.

 
At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in NYC this past June just before my family and I went on a cruise. It took my breath away seeing the site. I nearly got into a fight with a bunch of hippies.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger American Crusader said...

I grew up on Staten Island watching the Towers being built back in the early seventies/late sixties.
I still catch myself looking for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket